Monmouthshire County Councill
(Welsh: Cyngor Sir Fynwy)
Monmouthshire County Councill (Welsh: Cyngor Sir Fynwy) is the governing body for the Monmouthshire principal area - one of the unitary authorities of Wales.
The current unitary authority was created in 1996 and covers the eastern half of the historic county.
A Monmouthshire County Council was originally formed in 1889, covering the administrative county of Monmouthshire. The council was based at Shire Hall in Newport.
In 1891 Newport became a county borough and therefore outside the jurisdiction of the county council, although the council continued to be based there. The council was abolished in 1974, being absorbed into Gwent. However, a new Monmouthshire County Council was formed in 1996 covering the principal area of Monmouthshire.
This council was a successor to the previous Monmouth District Council along with a small part of the former Blaenau Gwent District Council area, which themselves were created in 1974.
Until April 2012, the council's administrative headquarters were at the former Gwent County Hall at Croesyceiliog, Cwmbran - also outside its own jurisdiction in the neighbouring borough of Torfaen - which closed because of "concrete cancer".
The authority decided to relocate some of its headquarters functions to offices at Coleg Gwent, Usk.
In May 2010 it was reported that the council had purchased additional offices at the Wales 1 Business Park at Magor. Planning permission for a new office building at Usk, to provide the authority's central facilities, was granted in September 2011. The new county hall in Usk was opened in 2013.